'The Selection' by Kiera Cass | Book review

By Julita Stefaniak - October 09, 2019

Rating: 4,5/5
I know, I know, I'm so late to jump on the bandwagon. I don't know exactly how old this series is, but I remember vividly my best friend in middle school describing the plot to me. Now I'm at uni, so The Selection has been around for quite some time. 
I decided to pick it up only because Scribd recommended it to me and I didn't know what else to listen to at that time. I'm so happy I gave it a go.

Since I listened to the audiobook for The Selection, here's a dramatic picture of me looking
 out my window with my headphones on
Being a part of the Selection seems like a dream come true for every girl in the country. Not only is it a competition to win Prince Maxon's heart and become a future queen, but also a chance of a lifetime to escape reality and dive into the magical world of royalty. Only thirty-five will make it into the palace and only The One will remain. 

America Singer seems to be the only girl from her town who doesn't want to become Selected. She's happy and in love with a boy one cast lower than her, Aspen, and already planning their future together, content with what her life is mapped out to be. She enters the competition just for the sake of her family never expecting to actually get in... 

As she dives into the world of rivalry, unexpected attacks from the rebels and new relationships, she is left questioning her feelings and for the first time not knowing what the future holds for her. 

***

Going into The Selection I wasn't expecting fireworks. The idea for the plot didn't really excite me; to be honest I dreaded the thought of listening to eight hours of a bunch of girls fighting for the heart of a young beautiful douche-prince. If it wasn't for boredom, I wouldn't have reached for it. 
I was positively surprised at how wrong I was about the whole thing; this is why I like going into books with only a faint image of what's to come.

America Singer, despite annoying me with her name for half of the book, turned out to be smart and funny. I loved getting to know her perspective and seeing the world through her eyes. Not once was she dramatic or acted as the hub of the universe. Instead of losing herself in the rivalry, America remained her kind and thoughtful self.

I enjoyed seeing the different characters throughout the book. Cass focused on creating very compelling side characters, from the family and other Selected to the royals and staff. Especially in YA novels, the background world tends to fade away as the main protagonist chases love. I'm glad it didn't happen in this case. I was really looking forward to learning about the history of the country and thankfully my expectations were exceeded. Not only was it not forced, but it was described to the reader in a really interesting way.

I am a big sucker for good love triangles. And in The Selection I got everything I needed in order to get emotionally invested. The relationships America had with both Aspen and Maxon were really mature and cute at the same time; especially the one with Maxon. I'm so relieved America didn't throw herself in his arms the first chance she got. Through most of the book, I was glad she didn't just forget about her hometown love Aspen which did bite me in the ass towards the end of the novel. I'm not the biggest fan of Aspen at the moment.

I'm really curious to know what happens next; I have already started The Elite. The rest of the series is currently in my room looking all pretty on the shelve. If you follow me on Instagram you know that I borrowed the rest of the books from the library at once. 

My plans for the rest of the night include making some tea and disappearing for a few hours to once more lose myself in the world full of royalty, love and beautiful dresses. 

Have you read The Selection? I'm curious to know your opinions but please, no spoilers! :) 




  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. I love this photo of you, My Queen! You look so pensive, yet so distinctive here ❤️ ! I am glad that you really liked the book, I remember you describing me the plot and telling about this name and surname. It is laughable :D! It's great that you could borrow all the books from your public library at once - the story is going to be read by you as a whole in a very short time and that's always something good, because you remember all the characters and little details! I am really looking forward to your reviews of the next books of the series! ❤️

    ReplyDelete
  2. I impressed by the quality of information on this website. There are a lot of good resources here. I am sure I will visit this place again soon. fitbit setup charge 3 Nice job, it’s a great post. The info is good to know!

    ReplyDelete