May 2020 | wrap up

By Julita Stefaniak - June 08, 2020

I know it's already the second week of June, but I still want to publish my wrap up for the month of May. Last month was quite successful reading-wise. Ever since I committed to reading two books at once - one physical and one audiobook, I noticed how smooth the reading process has become.

                    


Eyland by S.H. Bjornsdottir 

Dates read: 02/05 - 04/05 
Rating: 3.5/5 
I don't usually reach for political fiction, but I definitely think this book was worth committing my time to. It was interesting to see a potential scenario of what would happen if we got disconnected from the outside world. I enjoyed seeing the responses of the society, and with the pandemic going on I noticed a few similarities (like buying out everything from the store, because excessive amounts of toilet paper can save us from the unknown). I also appreciated the various points of view and types of chapters; reading newspapers articles really made me more involved in the whole story. 


Bridget Jones's Baby: The Diaries by Helen Fielding 

Dates read: 05/05 - 06/05 
Rating: 3.5/5 
Good old Bridget Jones! It's a very simple story written in a simple language but I enjoyed it immensely. It made me laugh out loud a few times. My biggest problem with the book is probably... the film. I watched it a few years ago and absolutely loved it, so I was taken aback when yet again the love interests in the Baby were Mark Darcy and Daniel Cleaver (in the film the second potential baby daddy is stranger). Because I am a big fan of Cleaver, I'm annoyed at the film and not at the book.


Clockwork Princess by Cassandra Clare 

Dates read: 18/04 - 08/05 
Rating: 5/5
The final book of The Infernal Devices series, thankfully as good as the previous two. Clockwork Princess made me lose my mind, cry and scream with happiness. I got emotionally connected to Tessa, Jem, Will, and everyone else, and I will miss them deeply. If you're still considering giving the series a try, please do. Clare has this amazing ability to make you forget the whole world when you have her book in hand. 


Love & Luck by Jenna Evans Welch 

Dates read: 11/05 - 19/05 
Rating: 4.5/5 
I'm a sucker for ya romance so when I saw that Scridb has the second book of Love & Gelato I knew I needed to listen to it. I loved going around Ireland with all those characters whose names I cannot remember (I checked: Addie - the main character, Ian - the brother, and Rowan - the cute Irish guy). I think the guide - Ireland for the Heartbroken: An Unconventional Guide to the Emerald Isle should really be a thing. The exercises for the heartbreak seem like they could also help the readers, not only the characters (I'm not heartbroken, so I can't say for sure). One thing I am sure of is that this book has everything you need for a summer evening - an adventure, friendship, love, and beautiful sights of Ireland. 


Again, but Better by Christine Riccio 

Dates read: 19/05 - 23/05 
Rating: 3.5/5 
I've watched polandbananasBOOKS for the longest time, Christine was one of the first booktubers I found and stuck to through all those years. I watched the writing process which made me really excited for the novel. Once again, Scridb made my reading dream come true.  
I think this is a great book; it's unexpectedly really... unexpected! Never in a million years I could have guess the plot twist. Other than the pure entertainment this book gave me, I also really needed it; as a struggling uni student I need all the reassurance I can get.  


The Chemist by Stephanie Meyer 

Dates read: 07/05 - 28/05 
Rating: 3/5 
This book has been on my shelve since the year it came out, but I never felt the need to read it until this year. I don't think Meyer improved writing-wise since Twilight. There were some parts of the book that I found extremely boring, sometimes the descriptions seemed off or forced. The storyline wasn't bad, but it wasn't good either. The Host was a much better non-twilight related book by Meyer.  


The Upside of Unrequited by Becky Albertalli 

Dates read: 28/05 - 31/05 
Rating: 2.5/5
I started listening to the audiobook not knowing much about it (apparently it's a sequel). I didn't like this book that much. The main character's focus was getting a boyfriend and that was getting on my nerves. I think I would have enjoyed this book when I was 16/17 as I was in a much different headspace back then. Even though I'm still struggling with body confidence, I'm not at the stage when I need constant approval and reassurance from guys. The main character seems to think that because she's not skinny, she's not worthy of love and affection. 

At the beginning of the month, I also read two books by a Polish author that are just not worth mentioning here. If you are Polish check out my Instagram post where I wrote why those books gave me a splitting headache. 



  • Share:

You Might Also Like

3 Comments

  1. I love the fact that you combined all those short reviews and did a wrap up 😍! It is a really good idea, because one can have a look, what books he should read 😀! I am really keen on reading the Eyland, as it seems pretty much as something I would like - political fiction is something I enjoy very much 😀. Bridget Jones is a classic! I love that you enjoyed Clockwork Princess 😍😘! Love and Luck also caught my attention so I might read it, when I am done with my MA thesis 😀! Can't wait for your next reviews Babe ❤!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Way Right Meds helps you to provide information about prescription drugs that are prescribed to treat various kinds of diseases. We deliver our services in the United States, USA. To place your order as overnight delivery, you can choose your products and place them at any point in time and get it delivered the next day at your doorstep.

    buy ambien online
    buy ambien online canada
    can you buy ambien online
    buy ambien online without prescription
    buy ambien online 2020
    buy ambien online from usa

    ReplyDelete