Audiobooks are life! | reading update | 08.04 - 14.04

By Julita Stefaniak - April 18, 2019


This was another great and successful reading week. This month I already finished 5 books and we're only halfway through the month. There is still so much time left so I'm positive I'll be able to beat my highest score of 7 books in a month! 

The first book I finished at the beginning of the week was Aurora Leigh by Elizabeth Better Browning. I decided to give it a go because it fitted perfectly in my reading tbr for the Magical Readathon (more about it here) as well as it was one of the set books for my English literature class at uni. And with exams approaching I decided not leaving it for the last minute was a smart choice. 
I did not enjoy it. It was borning and since I was listening to the audiobook my mind would quite often wander off in a different direction. The main character is annoying, the same goes for the so-called romance. But I got it over with, all that's left to do it pray I won't need it for my final essay. 
(Rating: 1.5/5)

The second book I finished was The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, another book for my reading challenge. At first, I wanted to read just the physical book, but since I needed something to listen to while at work I decided to alternate between it and the audiobook. That is probably the only reason I managed to finish it. It was good, but not too captivating. I'm not the biggest fan of multiple narrators and in this one, I found them super confusing. I have to admit though, the world created by Rick is fascinating and the ending makes me want to reach for the next book in the series. 
(Rating: 4/5) 

The last book I read (or listened to, to be precise) is Defy me by Taharah Mafi. I totally forgot about it and when I saw it in the recommended tab on Scribd I screamed. The Shatter me series has to be one of my favourites, it's beautifully written, smart and filled with emotions. I loved how this book explained all the holes and questions and made me even closer to Juliette and Warner. I need the next book asap! (Rating: 5/5)

writer's insomnia

What I'm currently reading: 
We'll Always Have Paris by Sue Watson (28% of the book read). Haven't made that much progress with this one, but I'm finally starting to enjoy the characters and I'm interested to see what comes next. It's definitely my priority next week. 
My Heart and  Other Black Holes by Jasmine Warga (17% of the book read). Even though it's already captivating I don't have high hopes for it. Let's all pray it will be a pleasant surprise. I'm listening to the audiobook and since I'm working Monday and Tuesday I will most likely finish it soon.

I wasn't a big fan of audiobooks before but now they are such lifesavers. They make mundane chores exciting and work bearable. And if I keep up this pace I will hit my yearly reading goal on Goodreads faster than I ever anticipated. 

Do you like listening to audiobooks? What is the last one you have listened to? 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. I listened to 2 audiobooks in my entire life, but it was long time ago, before they even became a thing. It was in the pre-smartphone era (yes, I am ooold 😁).

    I remember listening to Harry Potter and The Philosopher's Stone, it was read by famous Polish actor, Piotr Fronczewski.

    I found it extremely entertaining, however too much time consuming. Then, I predicted audiobooks will never become popular, because of this. But accelerated listening speed might be a solution. I definitely must give them a go!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You should definately give them a second chance :) . They are life savers when you're doing boring tasks! Especially when you're able to speed them up.
      When I was younger the idea of listening to a book on a cd was ridiculous. But thank god for the technology haha

      Delete