Mamma Mia Here We Go Again... unfortunately | film talk

By Julita Stefaniak - April 22, 2019


I have to admit I have seen Mamma Mia at least five times already. It's fun and heartwarming and so beautifully shot... Each song, each scene interosculate to create a great film that is always always there to lift you up. It is one of my go-to picks when I'm in need of something to smile at.

When I heard about the Mamma Mia sequel I was sceptical from the very beginning. Probably the only good film made after a few years is Bridget Jones's Baby (I even think I liked it better than the second one). The rest of them are cheaply made, basing on the feeling and memories of the fans of the previous parts. And after watching the sequel for Mamma Mia, it seems that I still stand by this opinion.
Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again SUCKED.

Warning: this text contains spoilers
(but honestly, if you haven't seen it, don't bother, so read on haha)
(also if you were ever interested in seeing this film you would have done it already, it's not a new release, so enjoy)

In my opinion, the biggest flaw of this film is its mood. As I said at the beginning, the first Mamma Mia is wonderfully sweet and optimistic. However, this one turns out to be just the opposite. It's really sad and too heavy for what it's supposed to be and what I have imagined. Most of the songs even the hits like Dancing Queen are not the perfect tune to jam to anymore. They are wistful, bringing back what the characters lost rather than the fun times they had. 

If you haven't heard anything about this film: Donna died.
And what truly bothers me is we even don't know what happened to her. Was it sickness, tragic accident? All her friends and even her mother (who was supposed to be dead but oh well, who cares, not the screenwriters) are alive so it's not of natural circumstances. The film is mainly about Donna's story, I think we (or if you don't care, at least I) deserve some closure.

I knew from the beginning Meryl Streep wasn't there to rock our worlds, but I still missed her throughout the film. When she appeared in the last scene, singing with Amanda Seyfried, it instantly became my favourite part. It was sad (I got to admit I was close to crying) and somewhat beautiful. Actual emotions finally appeared, ready to touch my heart. Now, thinking about it I'm asking myself: is this moment good enough to watch the boring, stupid two hours before it?
No.
So if you want to see what I'm talking about, watch it on YouTube. It makes it less painful, and not in a good way. 

If you know the plot of the first film and can more or less remember Donna's journal entries, after this film you will be left disappointed and slightly annoyed. Her diary doesn't make ANY sense anymore. It's all just wrong; the order she meets the guys, even the way she finds the freaking island. Whoever decided that a sequel was a good idea clearly does not know what continuity is.
And honestly, it's all just sloppy. Plot is too big of a word for this film. It didn't captivate me in any way and I was happy when it finally ended. 

Also, can we talk about young Harry?
Cause what the actual hell.
His younger version is so weird and stupid. He was supposed to be cool and charming; in this one, he's just an idiot.

I wanted to like this sequel.
But now I'm left annoyed, quite sad but most importantly happy I didn't go to the cinema to see this crap because it's not worth the money.
And as you can tell I'm also really, really salty. 

Have you seen Mamma Mia: Here We Go Again? Which part of the series did you like better?

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

2 Comments

  1. Ah, sweet nostalgia... is there a better feeling to earn money on? 😉

    Such as you, I rarely encounter the cases, in which the sequel is better or on square with the original movie/game/book. I guess I could find some examples in the music industry (e.g. Alice Cooper - Welcome To My Nightmare vs. Welcome 2 My Nightmare, both albums are brilliant).

    However it is really sad, that they do such a bad movie. They could at least made it watchable - from your review I understand it is not even worth watching. That's not a nice move from the producers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Honestly, it's better to rewatch Mamma Mia than see the sequel. It's not worth your while.
      I'm glad that at least in music they are growing and flowering with time rather than moving backwards! There is at least some hope!

      Delete