Top 5 Books I Read At University as an English Major

By Julita Stefaniak - March 04, 2020

In some of my previous posts, I have mentioned that I'm not that great when it comes to reading set books for classes. In fact, it's one of my goals this year to get better at it (see: Reading Goals for 2020). But it's also not as bad as I sometimes make it seem - I have read quite a few of them while at university. This is the list of my favourite books I've read for university so far as an English Major (in chronological order)!

1. A Study in Scarlet by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

This was one of the first books I had to read for class and I remember it making me really excited about the course. It's the first book in the Sherlock Holmes series which has been on my TBR since I can remember. Not knowing much about the books (having just watched a few tv series), I was surprised to find the book is written from Watson's perspective which makes the reading experience much more fascinating, as both the reader and Watson get to observe Holmes's mind from the outside.

2. Lolita by Vladimir Nabokov

Just like with A Study in Scarlet, Lolita has been on my radar long before I came to university. It had been praised by so many people I knew I wanted to give it a try. I read it during a spring break and I remember being absolutely mesmerised and creeped out by the suggestive writing style of Nabokov. Lolita tells a story of Humbert who falls deeply in love with his stepdaughter, a twelve-year-old Lolita. I had so many mixed feelings while reading as the theme is quite specific but there is no denying it's an absolute masterpiece and creates characters who play with your mind from page one.

3. Frankenstein by Mary Shelly 

Just like with Doyle's novel, I was quite surprised to learn the correct story of Frankenstein and that it's actually the inventor's name and not the monster's one. The storyline is fascinating and is so much more than just a gothic tale about a monster. It tells so much about compassion and humanity and asks so many important questions that make you think twice. It also astonished me how relevant it is to today's world. 

4. The Hound of the Baskervilles by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle 

Judging by another Sherlock Holmes story, I really should get more into those books outside of the university. It feels like a theme as this book also was totally different from my expectations. I don't know why, but with popular books or classic, I suddenly have some ideas about the plot that always turn out to be the polar opposite of the actual thing.
Also, did you know that The Hound of the Baskervilles is actually a short story and not a novel? The fascinating things we learn at the university! 

5. Mary Rose by J.M. Barrie 

Probably the most unexpected book on my list and the least known as well. I read it a few weeks ago and am planning on writing my final essay on it. The genre is also unexpected as it is a play, not my usual choice of reading. It's also the only one worth giving a synopsis for, as it is not labelled a popular classic. 
Technically, the plot is simple: a young soldier comes to see a house that is said to be haunted by a ghost of a woman. As he stays alone in one of the rooms, the house takes him back in time to tell the story of Mary Rose and the Island that Likes to be Visited.
However, there is so much more to that. It's a creepy story about time and memory, truly fascinating and gripping until the last pages! 

After putting this list together, I realised that the courses forced me to read classics that I had been meaning to read anyways. Looking back, it really makes me grateful as instead of making my TBR smaller, I now feel even more encouraged to dive into other novels by these authors!

What are your favourite books you've read at university? Let me know in the comments down below! 

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. The list are absolute classics and the classics are what I like the best! 😀 It is always good to read original sources, as it gives you a broader understanding of the world, as well as it might come in handy in discussions. It is great that you've read Sir Arthur Conan Doyle as it is one of my favourite series 😍😍! I need to read Lolita and Frankenstein in the futre 😀. Mary Rose sounds fascinating from what you write, so I need to get my hands on it too!

    Unfortunately, I haven't read any novels or short stories for classes, rather original sources such as philosopical texts and academic writings...

    ReplyDelete