'Roomies' by Christina Lauren | book review

By Julita Stefaniak - March 20, 2020

Rating: 4.5/5
Goodreads link: Roomies
Read in: English, physically/audiobook
Dates read: 06/03/20 - 09/03/20
Pages: 368


Until Roomies, I had never read any book by Christina Lauren before. I can tell now I'd been missing out big time! I am a big sucker for romance novels and lately, I've been enjoying more and more adult books.  I've been hearing great things about Christina Lauren so when I saw this title in my public library I grabbed it really really fast, haha!

This book is about Holland who has a big (and a little bit obsessive) crush on a subway musician. When there is an open spot for one of Broadway's hottest musicals, she quickly pulls some strings to get him a job there. There is just one problem... Calvin is Irish and his student visa expired four years ago. What starts with a joke ends up real when Holland decides to go one step further and marry the guy. Now she has to live under one roof with a complete stranger and hope her crush doesn't get out of control.

The only thing I quite dislike in Roomies is the logistics of the whole thing, The immigration stuff was way too simple for these two. I hoped for some drama connected to it to make it more realistic, but unfortunately, the world was a wish-granting machine for Holland and Calvin in this novel. It's not necessarily the end of the world but I do appreciate realism even in romance. I'm also quite sceptical about two strangers jumping into a marriage so easily. I don't think the motivations of the characters were explained in enough detail for me to believe this could actually happen. 

Other than that, reading Roomes was an absolute blast. I kept coming back to the audiobook for more every chance I had eager to know how the story plays out. Both of the main characters are likeable and mature - I adore how they handled things between each other. In so many romance books drama and arguing mean no conversations which can be quite frustrating. Thankfully, this book delivered! It was a pleasure to listen to Holland and Calvin and see them grow together. It's so refreshing to see actual problem solving and good communication. 

The plot was truly fun to follow. The twists and turns are unexpected, I got involved with the story from the first few pages and connected emotionally with Holland. I felt for her as she has a Creative Writing degree (and I'll hopefully have that in a year). It was so relatable to see her struggling with her writing, something I have to deal with on a daily basis as well. I can really see myself being friends with her. 

The writing style of Roomies is simple yet flawless. I don't have the best experience with writers duos (see: Zenith review), but with Christina Lauren, it's so easy to forget there are two people behind the novel! Their writing blends in together just perfectly and from what I know a lot of people mistake them for being just one person which I completely understand. 

I'm looking forward to reading more from Christina Lauren! Have you read any of their books? Let me know your recommendations in the comments down below!  

  • Share:

You Might Also Like

1 Comments

  1. At first, I have to say that the photo here, of your beautiful dog is simply mesmerizing 😍! She looks so cutee <3 !

    I really like that you liked the book! The immigration topic would be very interesting, I guess realism in books is important, but as you point out, there are more important things, too! I love the fact that characters are likeable and relatable!

    You will have your Creative Writing degree next year for sure Babe <3!

    Can't wait to read your next reviews 😍

    ReplyDelete